Re: DVB-H support

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008, Javier Gálvez Guerrero wrote:

> Has anyone succeed in receiving a DVB-H stream with dvb-utils? If so, which
> hardware have you used?

Thanks for the kick in the pants that I needed...

Disclaimer:  I write this with *no* knowledge of the details
of DVB-H...

I have a portable DVB-T receiver which has received as a
Radio service the Bayerisches Fernsehen DVB-H test as part
of a DVB-T multiplex.  And I just positioned an antenna to
tune in a dedicated DVB-H multiplex and received several
of the services therein as Radio services (naturally,
nothing is to be heard).

Thinking that I should be able to use any DVB-T capable
hardware to get something, I did in fact use `scan' to
tune in a handful of services -- after applying a patch
which I've forgotten, to enable my dvb_usb_cxusb device...

I'm going to have to use `dvbsnoop' to study the makeup of
the various PIDs within, as a generic `scan' reveals the
presence of the services but nothing more.

In the case of the Siano sms1xxx hardware, there are two
different DVB firmwares supplied for the device I have, as
well as several different modes.  The default is DVB-T (BDA),
which the present linux-dvb source supports, but at present,
there is no support for using the other modes.

I have no idea how the firmware differs, or what needs to
be added to the existing siano source in linux-dvb to use
the dvbh firmware -- perhaps it at least utilizes the time-
slicing to operate the hardware more power-efficiently than
the DVB-T firmware...

Anyway, so far none of the dvb-utils have native support that
I know of for DVB-H, as the present API does not support it
directly.

Ha.  Now I've got something to keep me busy for a while and keep
me from bothering this mailing list

thanks
barry bouwsma
oktoberfest via dvb-h?  prosit!