RE : DVB-H support

> On Mon, 22 Sep 2008, Javier Gálvez Guerrero wrote:

> If I understand what you are asking, as far as I know in the
> area where I am, all DVB-H services are broadcast with
> modulation parameters that makes it possible to receive them
> with any DVB-T device that can be used with Linux-DVB, so
> you do not need to search for a specific receiver.  Any will
> work, and I deliberately chose *not* to use my TerraTec to
> verify that I could tune DVB-H on something else not specifically
> intended for that as well as DVB-T.

> I do not know (without looking) if this is always the case,
> that DVB-H modulation can always be received by DVB-T --
> just as I don't know what is the difference between a DVB-H-
> capable receiver used with Linux-DVB and today's DVB-T devices.
> Someone else would have to clarify that, if it's important.

I think that the preferred transmission mode for DVB-H is 4K
while many (most? all?) DVB-T receivers can do 2K and 8K only.
The current Linux DVB API does not even have a definition for 4K.

>From ETSI EN 300 744 ("DVB; Framing structure, channel coding and
modulation for digital terrestrial television"):

  Exclusively for use in DVB-H systems, a third transmission mode the
  "4K mode" is defined in annex F, addressing the specific needs of
  Handheld terminals. The "4K mode" aims to offer an additional
  trade-off between transmission cell size and mobile reception
  capabilities, providing an additional degree of flexibility for
  DVB-H network planning.

See also ETSI EN 302 304 ("DVB; Transmission System for Handheld
Terminals (DVB-H)").

Here, in France, we won't see DVB-H until next year so I cannot
tell. There was a field test two or three years ago in the Paris
area. At that time, I did receive DVB-H on an Hauppauge PCI DVB-T
receiver in a Linux box but the field test used 2K, not 4K
(modulator availability issue at this time maybe).

But if your receiver can do 4K or your DVB-H network uses 2K or 8K,
you can receive DVB-H on a DVB-T receiver device.

-Thierry