Re: Questions on v4l-dvb driver instructions

Jonathan Coles wrote:
> Steven Toth wrote:
>> Jonathan Coles wrote:
>>> Perhaps I have some other misconfiguration in my system. With the
>>> wget command I must use the --no-proxy option. Otherwise, I get
>>> "Error parsing proxy URL http://:8080/: Invalid host name." Very
>>> strange that port 8080 is assumed when the standard port is 80.
>>>
>>> I couldn't find an equivalent no-proxy option for hg.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>
>> Please don't top-post, it's aainst to policy of the mailing list.
>>
>> See below.

>> Read this, it will probably help :)
>>
>> http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/hgrc.5.html
>>
>> - Steve
> I already have the man page for hg and hgrc. But, admittedly, I had only
> looked the one for hg.

No problem :)

> Assuming the problem was proxy related, as with wget, I added a
> [http_proxy] section, with "no=linuxtv.org". That worked! Unfortunately,
> "no=*" does not work, so every Mercurial host I ever want to access will
> have to be added to the file.
>
> I don't understand why I would use a proxy for downloads. If this is on
> one's own machine, what security is gained?

No idea, I don't use proxies to be honest. I did google quickly and
found that I thought you needed.

> Overall, the Mercurial issues are just an unnecessary complication, and
> my real problem with v4l-dvb for the HVR-950 is probably something to do
> with loading firmware or kernel modules. Linux has come a long way in
> the five years or so that I have been using it. But, some things, like
> using an off-the-shelf USB device, can still prove impossibly complex
> for those of us who are not hard-core computer geeks.

It is getting better but some drivers / products are still confusing for
end users. Sorry this didn't work out well for you.

> Thanks for your help.

Your welcome.

- Steve