Re: Questions on v4l-dvb driver instructions

Steven Toth wrote:
> Jonathan Coles wrote:
>> Perhaps I have some other misconfiguration in my system. With the
>> wget command I must use the --no-proxy option. Otherwise, I get
>> "Error parsing proxy URL http://:8080/: Invalid host name." Very
>> strange that port 8080 is assumed when the standard port is 80.
>>
>> I couldn't find an equivalent no-proxy option for hg.
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> Please don't top-post, it's aainst to policy of the mailing list.
>
> See below.
>

>> Owen Townend wrote:

>>> copy and pasting that line here works fine:
>>>
>>> % hg clone http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb
>>> destination directory: v4l-dvb
>>> requesting all changes
>>> adding changesets
>>> ...etc

>>> One advantage of using mercurial over the tarball is the ability to
>>> run `hg pull` and `hg update` rather than re download the entire set.

>>> dvb-apps AFAIK are optional. I have not yet needed them in normal
>>> operation of a tuner card.

>>> Do you have the firmware for the device as well as the driver?
>>>
>>> On the mythtv-users list there was a success story using one of these
>>> tuners. It details how they got it working before going into issues
>>> using two of them:
>>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/349205?search_string=HVR-950;#349205
>>>
>>> He was using the mcentral repository, and Edgy but the steps are
>>> otherwise the same.
>>>
>>> Hope this helps,
>>> cheers,
>>> Owen.
>
> Read this, it will probably help :)
>
> http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/hgrc.5.html
>
> - Steve
I already have the man page for hg and hgrc. But, admittedly, I had only
looked the one for hg.

Assuming the problem was proxy related, as with wget, I added a
[http_proxy] section, with "no=linuxtv.org". That worked! Unfortunately,
"no=*" does not work, so every Mercurial host I ever want to access will
have to be added to the file.

I don't understand why I would use a proxy for downloads. If this is on
one's own machine, what security is gained?

Overall, the Mercurial issues are just an unnecessary complication, and
my real problem with v4l-dvb for the HVR-950 is probably something to do
with loading firmware or kernel modules. Linux has come a long way in
the five years or so that I have been using it. But, some things, like
using an off-the-shelf USB device, can still prove impossibly complex
for those of us who are not hard-core computer geeks.

Thanks for your help.