Re: DVB-S2 / Multiproto and future modulation support

On Sat, Aug 30, 2008 at 7:14 PM, Steven Toth <stoth@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Artem Makhutov wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 02:29:30PM -0400, Steven Toth wrote:
>>> Regarding the multiproto situation:
>>>

>> Can you please explain me what you do not like in multiproto?
>

> 1. Where is the support for ISDB-T/ATSC-MH/CMMB/DVB-H/DBM-T/H and other
> modulation types. If we're going to make a massive kernel change then
> why aren't we accommodating these new modulation types?

Adding a new modulation is just as good as adding in a new definition,
nothing more than that.

> If we don't
> added now then we'll have the rev the kernel ABI again in 2 months....

There is more than enough space in the enumeration for anything to be added.
Just adding more definitions without supported hardware is purely pointless.

> that isn't a forward looking future proof API.

The future doesn't lie in terms of some just basic modulation definitions alone.

> 2. It's too big, too risky, too late. It doesn't add enough new fatures
> to the kernel to justify the massive code change.

In fact in legacy mode, it is just as large as the existing API. In non-legacy
mode it is even still lighter. It's quite absurd to state that it is too big.

Also you need custom algorithm support for many of the newer demodulators
(Eg: stb0899 and others) which the existing API doesn't support. Well this
is also supported by the multiproto tree.

Manu