Re: DVB-S2 / Multiproto and future modulation support

Artem Makhutov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 02:29:30PM -0400, Steven Toth wrote:
>> Regarding the multiproto situation:
>>
>> A number of developers, maintainers and users are unhappy with the
>> multiproto situation, actually they've been unhappy for a considerable
>> amount of time. The linuxtv developer community (to some degree) is seen
>> as a joke and a bunch in-fighting people. Multiproto is a great
>> demonstration of this. [1] The multiproto project has gone too far, for
>> too long and no longer has any credibility in the eyes of many people.
>
> Can you please explain me what you do not like in multiproto?

1. Where is the support for ISDB-T/ATSC-MH/CMMB/DVB-H/DBM-T/H and other
modulation types. If we're going to make a massive kernel change then
why aren't we accommodating these new modulation types? If we don't
added now then we'll have the rev the kernel ABI again in 2 months....
that isn't a forward looking future proof API.

2. It's too big, too risky, too late. It doesn't add enough new fatures
to the kernel to justify the massive code change.

Thanks your for your feedback.

Regards,

Steve