Re: DViCO Fusion HDTV7 Dual Express

I tried the advice of both of the replies that I got below.  I get the following in dmesg.

[   31.078478] cx23885 driver version 0.0.1 loaded
[   31.078777] ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [APC6] enabled at IRQ 16
[   31.078782] ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:08:00.0[A] -> Link [APC6] -> GSI 16 (level, low) -> IRQ 21
[   31.078795] CORE cx23885[0]: subsystem: 18ac:d618, board: DViCO FusionHDTV7 Dual Express [card=10,autodetected]
[   31.180458] cx23885[0]: i2c bus 0 registered
[   31.180480] cx23885[0]: i2c bus 1 registered
[   31.180499] cx23885[0]: i2c bus 2 registered
[   31.207377] cx23885[0]: cx23885 based dvb card
[   31.243077] cx23885[0]: frontend initialization failed
[   31.243080] cx23885_dvb_register() dvb_register failed err = -1
[   31.243081] cx23885_dev_setup() Failed to register dvb on VID_C
[   31.243085] cx23885_dev_checkrevision() Hardware revision = 0xb0
[   31.243091] cx23885[0]/0: found at 0000:08:00.0, rev: 2, irq: 21, latency: 0, mmio: 0xfd800000

Originally a friend helped me by getting setting up the system to look for the old dvico fusion 5 card.
I put

options cx23885 card=4

in /etc/modprobe.d/options.  The system would recognize that I had a card with two feeds, but I could get channels on the scan.  I commented out this line and then tried installing the deb package, but lost support of the card.
I tried installing from source, but that didn't help.  I tried installing the firmware as recommended, but it still didn't help.
At some point it recognized only one feed, still couldn't get channels on the scan.  Then I lost the card completely.  I admit that I just started trying suggestions and was probably not systematic enough.  I may need to scrap the install and start over.  Since the box is new, that is not a big deal.  It probably wouldn't take very long to reinstall.

I have some questions.  Will there be support for both tuners?  The old driver seemed to support 2, so I would hope the new one would too.  Will this card not work with analog channels or has support just not been written yet?  If I do have analog channels, what should the settings be?  Would one of those digital converter boxes make it a digital signal? (That is probably a dumb question, but this is not really my area.)

Thanks for all of your help.

     --Tim

Tim,

The support that I added in was for a the DViCO DVB-T Dual Express, not the
FusionHDTV7.

However there may be good news for you...
If your card is the FusionHDTV7 Dual Express there is support for this card
in the main tree (only one DVB tuner at the moment). This may not help you
as you stated that you needed analog support.

The easiest way for you to get the newest DVB drivers is to go to this
webpage:
http://martinpitt.wordpress.com/2008/06/10/packaged-dvb-t-drivers-for-ubuntu
-804/

You may need to install some firmware as well (you can tell if you need to
get the firmware by an error message in the syslog [accessed by typing
"dmesg" in a terminal], this error will only show up after you try to scan
or tune to a channel.  If you need firmware goto:
http://www.steventoth.net/linux/xc5000/
and follow the instructions inside the files (extract.sh and readme.txt).

Give that a go then come back, with any issues to the mailing list.

Perhaps you could create a wiki page on: http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php
with all the relevant information on it, for an example checkout:
http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DViCO_FusionHDTV_DVB-T_Dual_Express
And if you do make the page, update this page while you are at it:
http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DViCO
and also: http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/ATSC_PCIe_Cards

Regards,

Stephen.

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 8:37 PM, Tim Lucas <lucastim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Thank you for the help.  I am familiar with mercurial, so I should be able to figure it out.

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 8:13 PM, Michael Krufky <mkrufky@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Tim Lucas wrote:
> I apologize if this is outside the scope of the list and would appreciate
> any help I could get offline if that makes more sense.
> I have been searching online for support for this card and it looks there
> may be support now or coming soon. I am running mythbuntu 8.04 which does
> not yet include support for this card.  I am a linux novice so I was
> wondering if you could help me add the appropriate files that will add
> support for the card.  I am a linux novice (I'm good at apt-get install, but
> no so much at building my own kernel) so I may need a little bit of hand
> holding.  Any help
> you could provide would be appreciated.
>

> Side question.  I thought I might have seen something about only support for
> digital on this card, not analog.  I am in an apartment complex that uses an
>
> antiquated (very large) satellite system.  It is listed with schedules
> direct, but I am not sure if it is digital or analog.

FusionHDTV7 Dual Express is supported in the v4l-dvb mercurial tree, hosted on linuxtv.org.
See http://linuxtv.org/repo for info about installing the driver into your running kernel.

Support for the card will be available out-of-the-box in the unreleased kernel 2.6.27

-Mike

--
--Tim

--