Re: HDTV will be back in Freeview in the UK

I demand that Mark Fraser may or may not have written...
> On Thursday 03 April 2008 22:29:57 Andrea wrote:>> After the HDTV trial of a couple of years ago it seems that we'll get it>> again with the switchover.>> http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/apr/03/digitaltvradio.television?gusrc=rss&feed=uknews
> 'The regulator will also reshuffle the six multiplexes on which DTT is> broadcast. Channels will be moved off multiplex B, one of three multiplexes> used for public service broadcasting, on to spare capacity on other> multiplexes, freeing up space for HD and other new Freeview services.'
> Just what we want, more overly compressed channels, but of course OFCOM> doesn't care about quality.
Not necessarily. Mux B will be switched to DVB-T2, and all remaining 16QAMmuxes will be switched to 64QAM. Eventually, all channels will be usingH.264, though not necessarily with any increase in resolution (at most, we'llsee the disappearance of 544x576). The overly-compressed ones will have avery good chance to improve their picture quality here – we hope.
[snip]-- | Darren Salt    | linux or ds at              | nr. Ashington, | Toon| RISC OS, Linux | youmustbejoking,demon,co,uk | Northumberland | Army| + Use more efficient products. Use less.          BE MORE ENERGY EFFICIENT.
The descent to Hades is the same from every place.