Re: skystar2 rev 2.8a - no drivers for frontend found

On 3/19/08, john bolan <bolanster@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Can anyone tell me if there is any possibility for a driver for the skystar2 rev 2.8a in the near future - I bought one of these cards only to find out there are no drivers for it (the joke is I bought the skystar card specifically bcs I'd read it worked well under linux, ha ha). From what I understand the manufacturers have not been forthcoming with the information required to develop the drivers since rev 2.6. I've emailed Technisat with a request but have thus far not recieved a response, and I'm just deciding on whether I need to buy a new card ... any info would be greatly appreciated!

John Bolan

Hi,
I've the same problem. I asked Technisat and they said that the problem is from Conexant, who manufactures SkyStar 2.8A front end chipset (cx24113 / cx24123) . The Conexant has NDA (Non Disclosure Agreement) which prohibits developing of open source drivers.

I asked Patrick Boettcher who is maintaing SkyStar drivers for linuxtv, and he said it may be solved. You could also ask him yourself, and I think we could force Conexant to give away about linux driver, by mailing them.

J. Jikman