Re: Multiproto ???

P. van Gaans wrote:
> On 01/16/2008 05:17 PM, Stephen Rowles wrote:
>>> The current BBC HD transmissions, prior to the official launch of Freesat
>>> are DVB-S, and broadcast From Astra 28.2E. There was some talk of a
>>> possible
>>> move to DVB-S2 at some time in the future, but I don't have a reference
>>> for
>>> this and haven't seen anything more about it in the last few months.
>>>
>>> AFAIK, all the current BBC HD transmissions are 1080i.
>> Ouchy,
>>
>> I'll revise my hardware estimate then if they are 1080i I will need a
>> seriously quick processor, or the VAAPI project to get off the ground
>> quickly then :D

> With an mplayer compiled half a year ago or so I can watch BBC HD
> recordings on my Athlon 64 X2 4200+ when using mplayer -lavdopts
> fast:skiploopfilter=all. It runs smooth and picture quality is only hurt
> a little bit (especially in very fast action scenes).
>
> Current BBC HD broadcast is DVB-S, probably because 1 transponder for 1
> channel would be ridiculous. On the same transponder you also find BBC 1
> CI and BBC 1 Cambridge. Video is h.264 1440*1080i.

Does anyone know if the "freesat" from BBC / ITV will be FTA, like the
BBC / ITV channels on Astra are now - i.e. we aren't going to need a cam
and subscription card to access them like you do on Skys "freesat"
offering?? (*)

Robert.

(*) yes, I know you only actually need the card for channel 4, e4, and a
  few others but it still makes it enough of a pain that I can't
current;y get them into my MythTv box.