Re: Multiproto ???

On 01/16/2008 05:17 PM, Stephen Rowles wrote:
>> The current BBC HD transmissions, prior to the official launch of Freesat
>> are DVB-S, and broadcast From Astra 28.2E. There was some talk of a
>> possible
>> move to DVB-S2 at some time in the future, but I don't have a reference
>> for
>> this and haven't seen anything more about it in the last few months.
>>
>> AFAIK, all the current BBC HD transmissions are 1080i.
>
> Ouchy,
>
> I'll revise my hardware estimate then if they are 1080i I will need a
> seriously quick processor, or the VAAPI project to get off the ground
> quickly then :D

With an mplayer compiled half a year ago or so I can watch BBC HD
recordings on my Athlon 64 X2 4200+ when using mplayer -lavdopts
fast:skiploopfilter=all. It runs smooth and picture quality is only hurt
a little bit (especially in very fast action scenes).

Current BBC HD broadcast is DVB-S, probably because 1 transponder for 1
channel would be ridiculous. On the same transponder you also find BBC 1
CI and BBC 1 Cambridge. Video is h.264 1440*1080i.