Re: DVB API update

On Mon, Sep 17, 2007 at 03:38:12PM +0400, Manu Abraham wrote:

> Right.
>
> Do you think we can generalize it to a DUMMY frontend where some fields
> are just queried ?
>
> If so it would be a matter of just defining a "dummy name" for the
> general category of headless devices where some statistics can be
> queried. Or do you think it would be right to have it called as DVB-ASI
> frontend itself ?
>
> (In my thoughts it would be incorrect probably to call it DVB-ASI, since
> DVB-ASI doesn't get specified as a delivery system as defined by a
> frontend, but just as a transport method only)
>
> But in that case each of those headless devices will need to have a
> specific name. Though not too many headless devices come to my mind though.

Right, at the moment I can only think of the parallel (LVDS) interface
and ASI, where the ASI "frontend" might have some more capabilities due
to the encapsulation.

Apart from that, i am totally fine with the dummy approach. And, as you
mentioned, it is more in-line with the delivery system definition.

Regards,
Wolfgang