Re: DVB API update

Wolfgang Wegner wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 17, 2007 at 02:57:32PM +0400, Manu Abraham wrote:
>> CityK wrote:
>>> Its described in:
>>>
>>> "/EN 50083-9:2002 : //Cable networks for television signals, sound
>>> signals and interactive services. Part 9: Interfaces for CATV/SMATV
>>> head-ends and similar professional equipment for DVB/MPEG2 transport
>>> streams. "
>> Cool. Thanks for the info. (Sounds like cityk has been crawling all over
>> the net :-) )
>> Another Cenelec spec... :-|
>
> Cityk, thanks for the info!
>
> Manu, I can understand your argument that there should not be something
> integrated that is based on guesswork, but I think it is not that bad.
>
> The basic parameters needed for "tuning" or querying the status should
> be easy to define - wether a specific "frontend" supports all these or
> not would have to be queried via capabilities anyways, IMHO.

Right.

Do you think we can generalize it to a DUMMY frontend where some fields
are just queried ?

If so it would be a matter of just defining a "dummy name" for the
general category of headless devices where some statistics can be
queried. Or do you think it would be right to have it called as DVB-ASI
frontend itself ?

(In my thoughts it would be incorrect probably to call it DVB-ASI, since
DVB-ASI doesn't get specified as a delivery system as defined by a
frontend, but just as a transport method only)

But in that case each of those headless devices will need to have a
specific name. Though not too many headless devices come to my mind though.

Regards,
Manu