Re: DVB API update

Hi Wolfgang,

Wolfgang Wegner wrote:
> Hi Manu,
>
> On Sun, Sep 16, 2007 at 02:17:55AM +0400, Manu Abraham wrote:
>> Please don't remove the CC's. The CC'd people generally don't bother
>> about mails from the ML, probably.
>
> sorry, it was definitely not my intention and I hope to include
> all previous CC here.
>
> [have to read about the multiproto changes myself...]
>
>> Can you please point me to some ASI specs if you don't mind ?  I was
>> once supposed to work on such a device, but then that company itself got
>> scrapped, hence never had to figure out on ASI.
>
> Well, AFAIK the ASI specification is not open, so I unfortunately I
> can not point to it.
> To be honest, the only thing about ASI comes from a fronted we use at
> the company in professional equipment, so I am not sure if the things
> I can tell from there are really valid for all ASI equipment. However,
> as from time to time questions come up concerning DekTec and other boards,
> at least some basic support for ASI seems to be desirable.
>
> So, coming to the facts, our ASI frontend gives these as "statistics":
> - BER
> - sync status
> - 204 or 188 byte/packet mode

>From what i understood from the specs, only BER would be a criteria that
would match as a relevant candidate for the frontend. With regards to
the frontend what we mean by SYNC is Viterbi Sync.

With regards to ASI, there isn't any Viterbi decoder but just a 8B/10B
decoder as found in some NIC's

The 204/188 packet size would be a better candidate for the demuxer as
far as i can think, but this the user need not intervene (similar to
current DMA implementations on the PCI DVB cards we have)

This is the basic idea that i got after going through the specs.

Basically, i think an ASI device implementation should be quite simple,
"maybe" even a dummy frontend would do, if not for the BER statistics.

Maybe Ralph can chime in his inputs to this as he has worked with an ASI
device at some point of time.

Regards,
Manu