Re: [RFC] Hybrid tuner refactoring, phase 1

Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:> Hi Michael,>> Em Seg, 2007-08-27 às 10:02 -0300, Mauro Carvalho Chehab escreveu:>   >> I should review the source code later today.>>     >> Ok. Almost everything looked fine to my eyes. >> I have just one comment, about the changesets that added the> MODULE_DESCRIPTION and MODULE_LICENSE macros, like on this changeset:> http://linuxtv.org/hg/~mkrufky/tuner-refactor-phase-1/rev/ff52de4a4da1>> This is required at the moment those files will be converted to modules.> However, as, currently, they are still part of tuner, you shouldn't add> those lines.>   Actually, the driver is split into separate modules as of the changeset entitled, "tuner: alter build to produce separate modules"
I could have made those MODULE_DESCRIPTION and MODULE_LICENSE changes later on, but it has the same outcome, either way.> On a future changeset where those drivers will be splat, you should also> add MODULE_AUTHOR macro.>   Will add this right now.> So, I have some comments about that future patch:>> For tea5767 and tea5761, please add:> MODULE_AUTHOR("Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>")>   OK.> For tuner-simple, mt20xx and tda8290, I did some research. Those files> started when Gerd split tuner into smaller drivers, removing tuner.c> file, at -hg changeset 1578:> http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb/file/c9083c80e2f0/linux/drivers/media/video/mt20xx.c>> Unfortunately, -hg migration didn't preserved the full history (the> tuner.c removal changeset is not there). However, we can see the other> side of the history at CVS:>> http://linuxtv.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/video4linux/Attic/tuner.c?root=v4l&view=markup>> The original module author for tuner.c is marked there as:>> MODULE_AUTHOR("Ralph Metzler, Gerd Knorr, Gunther Mayer");>> This authorship line were preserved at tuner-core.c.>> The splitting work, however, were done by Gerd.>> So, IANAL, but, to respect GPL, I can see some ways:>> a) Preserve the original tuner.c author at the splat drivers;>> b) Add just "Gerd Knorr" to the splat drivers, and adding a comment, at> the header, stating that mt20xx and tuner-simple are splat drivers> originated from tuner.c, originally written by Ralph Metzler, Gerd> Knorr, Gunther Mayer.>> c) Ask the authors for their wishes (as both Gerd and Ralph are likely> subscribed at the ML, probably they'll let us know if they opt for an> specific way. I'm not sure if Gunther is subscribed).>> For tda8290, maybe Hartmut should also be added, since he reworked some> major parts of the driver logic:>> http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb/rev/399222ddb2d9OK -- I have taken care of the above, and pushed the changesets into my tree, along with the warning of obsolete i2c address usage.
I will issue a pull request tomorrow.
Thanks for your review and testing.
Regards,
Mike