Re: [RFC] Hybrid tuner refactoring, phase 1

> Manu Abraham wrote:
>> Michael Krufky wrote:
>> We cannot move struct analog_parameters out of dvb_frontend.h , since
>> the new set_analog_params method must be a part of the dvb_tuner_ops
>> structure.  This is a very small price to pay, for quite a large gain,
>

> You mean to say it is impossible to do that ? sounds strange for
> something that simple.
>

>> without creating any dependencies of the DVB subsystem onto V4L, and
>> also without creating any dependencies of the V4L subsystem onto DVB.
>>
>> The idea of my refactoring work, was to add the analog tuning capability
>> to the dvb_frontend style tuner modules, allowing us to have a single
>> module that can receive tuning commands for both analog and digital.
>

> Still just one single driver only. Haven't been talking about a driver
> split in two for analog or digital at all. One driver per silicon, was
> what i stated earlier as well.
>

>> Since we are adding this capability to the dvb_frontend internal API,
>> naturally, this must all appear within dvb_frontend.h --
>

> Not necessarily. See attached patch.

Why not just add a forward reference to the analog_parameters struct in
dvb_frontend.h and have the actual definition somewhere else? As long as
that struct is not actually used it still compiles fine.

At first glance that certainly seems better than adding a void pointer as
a replacement for the set_analog_params function pointer.

Or am I missing something here?

Regards,

      Hans