Re: Vivanco 21056/LR306 a.k.a. MSI DVB at Anywhere a.k.a LifeView Hybrid doesn't scan

On Monday 18 June 2007 08:41, hermann pitton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am Sonntag, den 17.06.2007, 23:46 +1000 schrieb Peter D.:
> > On Sunday 17 June 2007 09:46, hermann pitton wrote:
> > > Hi Werner,
> > >
> > > Am Samstag, den 16.06.2007, 23:38 +0200 schrieb Werner Braun:
[snip]
> > Don't forget to plug the antenna into the
> > correct socket.  ;-)
>
> It does antenna input switching on analog for TV and radio.

The MSI TV@nywhere A/D manual suggests that the FM tuner is optional.
The card has a female TV (analogue + DVB-T) connector, an (optional?)
male FM radio connector and a multipurpose connector (with custom
adapter that has many sockets).

It is possible to connect the cable to the FM radio socket and
wonder why it does not display TV.

[snip]
> > Generally I don't look at the analogue side of things.  Today kmplayer
> > did not work and kdetv displayed a picture, but did not give any sound.
> > Then the computer crashed - repeatedly.
>
> A known risk is analog TV in overlay/preview mode when the data are
> directly written to the memory of the graphics card from PCI to PCI/AGP
> device. Many chipsets don't play nice with it. Another additional risk
> are Ati and Nvidia binary driver in that mode.

Using the free ati/radeon driver on a 9250 series PCI card - so I should
be safe on that point.  On the other hand I'm not, so happy about the
motherboard.

> Capture mode like on
> "tvtime" or xawtv so called grabdisplay should be save. I'm also quite
> sure I never had a crash with mplayer, that can also do dma sound with
> saa7134-alsa or saa7134-oss if you have no audio cable to the soundcard
> connected. I can see a analog audio onboard connector.
> You find more stuff about saa7134-alsa helper apps on the v4l wiki.

It was tvtime that seemed to be miss behaving, but it is OK now.

There are three internal connectors on the MSI TV@nywhere A/D card,
none of which are mentioned in the manual.

There is an "audio out" connector, which was empty yesterday, but is
now connected to the "optical drive audio connector" on the motherboard.
There is now sound with tvtime.

There is also a "CD in" connector and an unlabeled ten pin connector.

--
sig goes here...
Peter D.