Re: Vivanco 21056/LR306 a.k.a. MSI DVB at Anywhere a.k.a LifeView Hybrid doesn't scan

Hi,

Am Sonntag, den 17.06.2007, 23:46 +1000 schrieb Peter D.:
> On Sunday 17 June 2007 09:46, hermann pitton wrote:
> > Hi Werner,
> >
> > Am Samstag, den 16.06.2007, 23:38 +0200 schrieb Werner Braun:
>
> [snip]
> > The patch will work, not sure if the same IR trouble/fun is on the
> > cardbus version to be expected, but that can be investigated.
>
> [snip]
> > > tda827x_probe_version: could not read from tuner at addr: 0xc2
> >
> > Tuner seems to be dead/not initialized.
>
> I only saw that message after deliberately miss setting card=NN.

Yes, one gets it always if the tuner does not respond. For example if it
is on a different address or the i2c bridge is not working/wrong.

> [snip]
> > > Peter, how did you finally get your MSI to work? Which distro are you
> > > using?
> >
> > Yes, Peter could try the recent without ever using card=112 before.
> > And you could try if it makes a difference without Hartmut's latest
> > changes by downloading a snapshot just before and than try also his
> > latest again. There are more cooks on it recently.
> >
> > Maybe taking the bz2 or gz on top from that one?
> > http://linuxtv.org/hg/~hhackmann/v4l-dvb/rev/f182b5f389b3
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Hermann
>
> My card is a PCI MSI TV@nywhere A/D.  (There is also a Kworld VStream
> XPert DVB-T in another box.)  The MSI card is in a box running Mandriva
> 2007.1 (also known as Spring).  It is also known to work with 2007.0.
> Although I have not made the remote control of either card do what I
> want.  It is necessary to change the kernel and/or use v4l-dvb from
> linuxtv.org.  Then put "saa7134 card=94" in /etc/modprobe.preload
> and "modprobe saa7134-dvb" in /etc/rc.d/rc.local.  My application
> of choice is /Kaffeine/.  Don't forget to plug the antenna into the
> correct socket.  ;-)

It does antenna input switching on analog for TV and radio.

> On the dvb side of things the MSI card works with card=94.  It does not
> work with 55, 112, or without a "card" value.

Despite other, 55 has the extra dvb-tuner at 0x60 and 112 uses the i2c
gate of the tda8290 analog IF demodulator inside the saa7131e chip for
tuning. Looks like that.

saa7133[1]: i2c xfer: < 10 43 03 >
tda827x: tda827xa_set_params:
saa7133[1]: i2c xfer: < 96 21 c0 >
saa7133[1]: i2c xfer: < c2 00 2e 70 00 16 14 4b 1c 06 24 00 >
saa7133[1]: i2c xfer: < 96 21 c0 >
saa7133[1]: i2c xfer: < c2 90 ff 60 00 59 >
saa7133[1]: i2c xfer: < 96 21 c0 >
saa7133[1]: i2c xfer: < c2 a0 40 >
saa7133[1]: i2c xfer: < 96 21 c0 >
saa7133[1]: i2c xfer: < c3 =09 =a9 >
tda827x: tda8275a AGC2 gain is: 10
saa7133[1]: i2c xfer: < 96 21 c0 >
saa7133[1]: i2c xfer: < c2 c0 99 >
saa7133[1]: i2c xfer: < 96 21 c0 >
saa7133[1]: i2c xfer: < c2 60 3c >
saa7133[1]: i2c xfer: < 96 21 c0 >
saa7133[1]: i2c xfer: < c2 30 11 >
saa7133[1]: i2c xfer: < 96 21 c0 >
saa7133[1]: i2c xfer: < c2 c0 39 >
saa7133[1]: i2c xfer: < 96 21 c0 >
saa7133[1]: i2c xfer: < c2 50 4f >
saa7133[1]: i2c xfer: < 96 21 80 >

96 21 c0 opens the gate, then follows the tuner programming at 0xc2
(0x61 seven bit), status register readout at 0xc3 and the sequence
96 21 80 closes the i2c gate to the tuner.

> Generally I don't look at the analogue side of things.  Today kmplayer
> did not work and kdetv displayed a picture, but did not give any sound.
> Then the computer crashed - repeatedly.

A known risk is analog TV in overlay/preview mode when the data are
directly written to the memory of the graphics card from PCI to PCI/AGP
device. Many chipsets don't play nice with it. Another additional risk
are Ati and Nvidia binary driver in that mode. Capture mode like on
"tvtime" or xawtv so called grabdisplay should be save. I'm also quite
sure I never had a crash with mplayer, that can also do dma sound with
saa7134-alsa or saa7134-oss if you have no audio cable to the soundcard
connected. I can see a analog audio onboard connector.
You find more stuff about saa7134-alsa helper apps on the v4l wiki.

> Herman,
>
> What exactly do you want me to do?  Against which kernel?
> Currently there is a Mandriva kernel (2.6.17.something) with source code
> and several vanilla kernels on that machine.
>
> I have this file, http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb/rev/76b92a337aec.bz2
> which seems to be the most recent.  It makes things work with the
> Mandriva kernel.  The most recent vanilla kernel (2.6.21.5) works
> without it.  Applying it to 2.6.21.5 stops it working.
>
> Which old v4l-dvb do you want me to try (link please) against which
> kernel?  If you are not at all fussed, there is an old one here
> from February.
>
> Do you want me to then apply
> http://linuxtv.org/hg/~hhackmann/v4l-dvb/rev/f182b5f389b3.bz2
> to the patched kernel, or a clean one?

Thanks, fairly current stuff on the 2.6.17 should be enough.
I have not the slightest idea what should break it on 2.6.21.5.

Testing with card=112 should did no harm, I wonder that Werner has at
least analog with a stock kernel, but also not even that with recent
mercurial. My stuff works.

Since I have no datasheets and not even the pinning, someone must help
where to look for the physical connection.

Usually I would say to Werner try to add
.i2c_gate      = 0x4b,
if analog works and else no tuner is responding. Thought first it might
have two, but it is the LR306!

It is a bit confusing currently.

Help is welcome,
Hermann