Re: Dual tuner DVB-T

Rudy Zijlstra wrote:
> P. van Gaans wrote:
>
>> Stephen Rowles wrote:

>>> Well I want to run linux, so windows media is out, plus it doesn't do
>>> what I want anyway :)
>>>
>>> The reason for the whole TS is one to avoid tuning channels all the
>>> time.. pretty much all the TV we watch is on Mux 1 or Mux 2 down here
>>> :). If I can stream the whole TS from 2 tuners, I pretty much get
>>> every channel available to either watch or record all the time :)
>>>
>>> I also have some streaming software that requires this, which will be
>>> running the backend recordings.. so I have to have whole TS support
>>> from the hardware, and the ability to re-tune while streaming.
>>> (similar to what VDR requires).
>>>
>>> This will mean not only can I watch tv, and record tv on my media
>>> centre box, but else where on the network can watch the channels as I
>>> will send the TS out over my network (not wireless!)
>>>

>> Please keep this on the list.
>>
>> Forget about streaming the whole TS over your network. You can't. It
>> won't work. Not on any home/soho-equipment. A simple 3mbit stream with
>> dvbstream over my network KILLS my 100mbit switch. Don't even think
>> about a whole TS, let alone two!
>>

> What kind of rubbish are you using? I'm regularly close at 100mbps on my
> home network with no problems....
>
> Sorry, ethernet switch that falls over at 3 mbps is pure rubbish in my
> book. It needs replacement.
>
> Rudy

Hmm, well, iirc it was a 8mbit stream, but I'm not sure if I also tried
a 3mbit stream, but I bet that still wouldn't have worked reliably. Not
much difference anyway. Because no, not my switch, dvbstream needs
replacement. Multicast simply sucks, what you want are peer to peer
connections. My switch has no problems handling these at 100mbit. No
SoHo switch has. But multicast? There's a reason IPTV ISP's don't switch
you know.. For Multicast you should use satellites, DVB-T transmitters
or (coaxial) VHF/UHF cable infrastructures. Not UTP with SoHo switches!