Re: m920x device: Genius TVGo DVB-T02Q

On Fri, 8 Jun 2007 17:35:27 +0200
"Pere Blay" <pereblay@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I recently purchased a Genius TVGo DVB-T02Q, a usb dvb-t device
>
>  i found in this mail list that this device belongs to the m920x
> family. The
>
> windows INF file makes reference to the m9207 chip, as frontends,
> someone pointed out in this mail list that it has got inside a
> Zarlink ZL10353 and MT2060 chipsets, the windows INF file also makes
> reference to QT1010 and MT352...
>
> I took a patch i also located in this mail list, but had to modify it
> a bit to
> make it up-to-date with the current mercury m920x branch of the
> v4l-dvb project,... after modification i applied this patch to m920.c
> file, i send attached the modified m920.c file.
>
> As a result i found out that the device is recognised by the system,
> as stated
> in the dmesg output:
>
> [  125.352000] usb 2-3: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and
> address 4
> [  125.496000] usb 2-3: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
> [  125.700000] dvb-usb: found a 'Genius TVGo DVB-T02Q' in cold state,
> will try
>                                        to load a firmware
> [  125.808000] dvb-usb: downloading firmware from file
> 'dvb-usb-t02q-02.fw' [  125.812000] usbcore: registered new interface
> driver dvb_usb_m920x
>

> but the device did not work and the frontends were not loaded, here
> you are the related modules automatically loaded when the usb device
> is connected.

It is unlikely you can use other device's firmware.
See http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/M920x_firmware on how to
retrieve new firmware.

Please include output from "lsusb -v" after firmware has been loaded.
Once you have gotten m920x driver to load properly, you need to get
some dumps so that we can identify which tuner you have. They are also
important when adding support for mt2060 tuner to m920x. It might work
out of the box if you have qt1010.

Please post you changes as diffs. You can get one with command
"hg diff" or with "diff -uNr original_dir modified_dir" .

"

> Module                  Size  Used by
> dvb_usb_m920x          20484  0
> dvb_usb                24972  1 dvb_usb_m920x
> dvb_core               80808  1 dvb_usb
> dvb_pll                15620  1 dvb_usb
>
> I think the patch only gets the device recognized but is not
> configured properly to detect and load the frontends... if I unplug
> the devive the modules won't be removed
>
> I'm wokring witha a 2.6.20-15 kernel in a kubuntu system.
>
> I'm willing to make this device work and help in the m920x branch,
> i'm quite
>
> newbie in programming and then i will need some indications on how to
> debuge
>
> to get more output from the code or how to try to 'communicate' with
> the device (send it stuff and see what comes back).
>
> If anyone else has got some experience with this device, every
> comment, suggestion are very wellcome (appart of giving it back and
> buy a new one ;)... i'm very stubborn and won't stop trying untill i
> get this one working)

Great attitude!
Once you got the proper firmware you can find out what codes have they
used for your remote controller(assuming you have one). You can do this
by printing(use printk) contents of rc_state[0] and rc_state[1] in
function m920x_rc_query. This function gets called often so you want to
only print output if hw registers key as pressed.

--
Aapo Tahkola