Re: Incorrect tuning parameters for Perth Western Australia

Hi,

Am Montag, 14. Mai 2007 11:50 schrieb Jim Barber:
> Hi all.
>
> I hope this is the right mailing list to send to.
> It's a request to fix an incorrect setting in the configuration file
> supplied for the scan utility of the dvb-utils software, the the au-Perth
> region.
>
> I have a Hauppauge Nova-T tuner card and for ages I've been able to get all
> of the five TV stations except for Channel 7. I had looked all over the
> Internet and the settings reoprted on various wiki's, mailing lists, etc
> all agreed with the ones I was trying, but failing with.
>
> Finally I stumbled across the correct settings on the Digital Broadcasting
> Australia's website at the following link:
>
> 	http://www.dba.org.au/index.asp?sectionID=120
>
> The problem is that everywhere, the guard interval for channel 7 has been
> reported as being 1/8. This is incorrect. It is actually 1/16.
> It was enough to stop me from being able to tune to it, even when doing
> auto scans. I was just about to return the DVB-T capture card as faulty
> because of this setting reported incorrectly everywhere.
>
> I'm using Debian, and they have a dvb-utils package that is at version
> 1.1.1 that seems to be the latest version. In this package is a file
> called: /usr/share/doc/dvb-utils/examples/scan/dvb-t/au-Perth The current
> contents of this file are as follows:
>
> 	# Australia / Perth (Carmel/Bickley transmitters)
> 	# T freq bw fec_hi fec_lo mod transmission-mode guard-interval hierarchy
> 	# ABC
> 	T 226500000 7MHz 3/4 NONE QAM64 8k 1/16 NONE
> 	# Seven
> 	T 177500000 7MHz 2/3 NONE QAM64 8k 1/8 NONE
> 	# Nine
> 	T 191625000 7MHz 3/4 NONE QAM64 8k 1/16 NONE
> 	# Ten
> 	T 219500000 7MHz 3/4 NONE QAM64 8k 1/16 NONE
> 	# SBS
> 	T 536625000 7MHz 2/3 NONE QAM64 8k 1/8 NONE
>
> However the entry for "Seven" should be:
>
> 	T 177500000 7MHz 2/3 NONE QAM64 8k 1/16 NONE
>
> Is this the correct list to report this problem to so that the file is
> corrected in future versions of the utils?

I'm applying this to dvb-apps now (a bit later than I intended ...); the
distros maintain their packages so I can't say anything about when it'll
become available there ... (okay; the latest released tarball on linuxtv is
quite old - but I'm not responsible for them ;)

> I hope this helps anyone else from Perth who has had the same problem as me
> and kept finding the same mis-information that I did.

Thanks!

> Regards,

Christoph