Re: Re: Hybrid tuner proposal (V4L/DVB)

On 4/16/07, Manu Abraham <abraham.manu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 16, 2007, Manu Abraham wrote:
>> Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
>>
>>> I believe many people ("users") would like em28xx to be merged
>>> asap, so I'm trying to find a way how it could be done.
>> IMHO, code that which is bad should be fixed and then only be accepted
>> into the project. I don't see any reason for any person/project to be
>> given any special status and things should work just as normally.
>>
>> It is completely wrong  to artificially create a huge importance/need
>> and doing things -- Incorrect way of doing things.
>
> It's not artificial. The em28xx merge has been delayed for more than
> a year with little visible progress.
>
> That's a disaster.

We have had discussions that have been outstanding since 2005. Don't you
feel the same on those ? Do you know how many people were/are still
anxiously looking forward, Sorry not just people -- OSS projects
(applications and so on), Commercial projects and so on.

Manu please stay on a constructive level now.
What I don't like about your current approach is that you have to
duplicate the wrapper in every new hybrid tuner module (eg you have
one generic core tuning function and you have to build wrappers around
to fit the i2c and dvb part).
Please point me to your code and where my current approach will break
the multiproto work you did last year.

Regarding the difficulty, I don't see anything within the whole
project which isn't doable everything's about time and patience of
reading specs to get something done here.

> And it doesn't really matter whose fault it is.
>

> If you have technical reasons why Markus' code shouln't be
> merged (like "breaks support for the X card", or even
> "breaks all non-em28xx cards" or "crashes under SMP" etc.),
> then you should let us know about it.
>

> Note that your hybrid tuner proposal is not dismissed
> by merging Markus' code, however time is important here,
> and I don't think it's OK to delay the merge another
> couple of weeks/months until your proposal is fully
> implemented, tested and merged.

As i said, completely upto you. Don't have anything more to say.

now stop pushing anyone and discuss the work we did so far, this is
not only up to Johannes he didn't write your neither my code.

Markus