Re: [Proposal] Unification of the v4L & dvb wikis

On Thu, Apr 12, 2007, CityK wrote:
> Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
> > But I think there's no way to do it without losing history
> > (or at least the correct user attribution of changes).
> >
> The export pages function (under special pages) seems to imply that it
> would work, but I'm not sure (or clear on it).

Well, the export includes the information, but the usernames
and ids in the other wiki don't necessarily match, so I
think the import will ignore it. I haven't tried it, though.

> Nonetheless, the license issue is indeed one that needs to be addressed
> ... and something that I would love to get help with. For example, there
> are also some nice templates available at
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Templates and also some at
> Wikipedia, and also some svg images (such as the check mark and X on
> Wikipedia ) that I would love to utilize. But I want to be careful about
> adhering to licensing. However, I find that when I start looking at CC
> licenses, GPL licences and so forth, I get bogged down and start to lose
> it quickly...i.e. not a lot of patience to read through a lot of
> unfamiliar legal mumbo jumbo text.

IANAL but my understanding of the CC Attribution-ShareAlike license
is that you can use them but must say so. E.g. put a statement
like "This Wiki uses icons from the Tango theme from
http://tango.freedesktop.org/"; in some suitable place.

Johannes