Re: [Proposal] Unification of the v4L & dvb wikis

Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
> But I think there's no way to do it without losing history
> (or at least the correct user attribution of changes).

The export pages function (under special pages) seems to imply that it
would work, but I'm not sure (or clear on it).

> There's also the problem that the V4L Wiki says:
>
> "To keep these instructions free, all contributions to this wiki are
> automatically licensed under the GNU General Public License GPL. If you
> wish, you may specify in each case that your contribution is
> dual-licensed under the MIT License."
>
> But the DVB Wiki fails to give a license :-(
>
> I've no idea how to resolve this.

Hmm, I didn't think of that...

> It looks really nice!

Thanks

> A few comments:
> - you could put most if not all of the blurp at the top into
>   http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/LinuxTVWiki:About
>   (the About link is at the bottom of every page)

That's a good idea -- makes more room on the main page (for a graphic at
top and for news content below)

> - I hope the icons are OK to use and your not grabbed them
>   from somewhere without looking at the license?

Most are either standard gnome or kde icons. Two I created in Gimp (the
v4l and dvb). One is just someone's upload of a Hauppauge remote that I
resized and then uploaded. And one is from tvtime, which is gpl'd. So I
assume there wouldn't be any usage problems there, as long as licensing
info is included (I didn't bother right now just for the mock up) .

Nonetheless, the license issue is indeed one that needs to be addressed
... and something that I would love to get help with. For example, there
are also some nice templates available at
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Templates and also some at
Wikipedia, and also some svg images (such as the check mark and X on
Wikipedia ) that I would love to utilize. But I want to be careful about
adhering to licensing. However, I find that when I start looking at CC
licenses, GPL licences and so forth, I get bogged down and start to lose
it quickly...i.e. not a lot of patience to read through a lot of
unfamiliar legal mumbo jumbo text.

But to reiterate -- I do want to respect licensing.