Re: [Proposal] Unification of the v4L & dvb wikis

On Thu, Apr 12, 2007, CityK wrote:
> Time, after time, after time, I have seen users express confusion about
> information fragmentation.  Lets put an end to this.
>
> I propose that there is no better time then the present to begin the
> merger of the v4l & dvb wikis together under one roof - the LinuxTV
> wiki.  I also propose the creation of an active administrative body to
> govern over the "new" wiki.

I'm all for it.

But I think there's no way to do it without losing history
(or at least the correct user attribution of changes).
Does someone think this is a problem?

There's also the problem that the V4L Wiki says:

"To keep these instructions free, all contributions to this wiki are
automatically licensed under the GNU General Public License GPL. If you
wish, you may specify in each case that your contribution is
dual-licensed under the MIT License."

But the DVB Wiki fails to give a license :-(

I've no idea how to resolve this.

> I have crafted a mock up of what a unified wiki could look like, as well
> as outlined (in point form) some rationale for my proposals.  But if you
> want a reason in a nutshell -- it just makes sense to do so.  Please see
> http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/User:CityK for further details.
>
> Looking forward to resultant comments and discussion (hopefully all
> positive!)

It looks really nice!

A few comments:
- you could put most if not all of the blurp at the top into
  http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/LinuxTVWiki:About
  (the About link is at the bottom of every page)
- I hope the icons are OK to use and your not grabbed them
  from somewhere without looking at the license?

A big Thank You! for the huge amount of work you did for the DVB Wiki!

Thanks,
Johannes