Re: [RFC] Reviewed development procedures DVBMaintainer

Em Sáb, 2007-03-10 às 14:10 +0400, Manu Abraham escreveu:
> On 3/10/07, Johannes Stezenbach <js@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >   Maybe a hint that irc is not an adequate medium
> >   for this kind of discussions?
>
> There is nothing wrong with IRC as a medium, but since the interaction
> is faster the rate at which you reach the end state is also faster --
> positive or negative. When there are enough negative arguments it very
> easily leads to an explosive situation.

As people tend to read/write quickly on IRC, and most of us have English
as the second language, people tend to write things there that are
easily misunderstood. I've seen this happening lots of the time.

The chances are that, if you are urging to do something else, but you've
received something interesting on IRC, you tend do a quick answer, often
generating a long discussion on what you were meaning and lots of noise.

> on a ML, there is a significant delay such that this "heat" just cools down.
>
> but said these negative aspect, there is a positive aspect also, that
> if used properly things can be achieved faster, depending on the
> people in the discussion.

Discussions on ML produces better effects, IMO, even sometimes slowing
down some discussions. The results are more likely to be positive, since
people generally reviews their emails before sending.

> > - Apparently irc sucks. I believe the mailing list is a much
> >   better medium for this kind of discussions.
>
> True
True.

Cheers,
Mauro