Re: Re: RFC: MPEG encoding and decoding V4L2 API additions

Em Sáb, 2007-02-17 às 17:16 +0400, Manu Abraham escreveu:
> On 2/17/07, Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > The point is that we need to add a similar API to ivtv driver. Does
> > encoder/decoder API fit on the needs of ivtv driver? If so, ivtv should
> > use it. Otherwise, we need to expand it to the newer needs.
>
> Since you *still* don't see the point, when a device is going to use a
> decoder, for one chip to use foo API and bar API for another chip and
> when the chip[ which is classified under the foo API is used under the
> bar application.
>
> This is what i mentioned earlier
>
> When the same chip appears to used somewhere else , you are suggesting
> to rewrite apps to support foo and bar API 's for a similar category
> of chips. (This is of course craziness)

Manu,

I'm not stating that API should be changed, but just that it should be
checked if it provides enough support also for other protocols and other
chipsets. We have a concrete demand on using it with ivtv. Let's Hans
work on it and give us a feedback, with the help of Ralph and others.

Cheers,
Mauro