Re: new tv tuner card

On Saturday 9 September 2006 09:04, Hartmut Hackmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Philip Shead wrote:
> > Peter D. wrote:
> >> On Friday 8 September 2006 06:32, Hartmut Hackmann wrote:
[snip]
> [...]
[snip]

Peter wrote:
> >> [c17] /mnt/test/var/log
> >> ->cat messages.temp
> >>

> >> Sep  7 10:24:26 localhost kernel: tda1004x: setting up plls for
> >> 48MHz sampling clock
> >> Sep  7 10:24:27 localhost kernel: tda1004x: found firmware
> >> revision ff -- invalid
> >> Sep  7 10:24:27 localhost kernel: tda1004x: booting from eeprom
> >> Sep  7 10:24:27 localhost kernel: tda1004x: found firmware
> >> revision ff -- invalid
> >> Sep  7 10:24:27 localhost kernel: tda1004x: firmware upload
> >> failed

These error messages were probably because I didn't seat the card
properly.

> I assume you use a recent snapshot from linuxtv.org.

No.  I have built vanilla kernels before but I was avoiding it until I
have to again.  My test system is using kernel-2.6.17-2mdv which
knows about cards up to at least 94.  The last line
of /usr/src/linux/Documentation/video4linux/CARDLIST.saa7134 is;
"94 -> LifeView FlyDVB-T Hybrid Cardbus         [5168:3306,5168:3502]"
It is a Mandriva beta for 2007.  It is mostly self consistent - and I
already had it installed.

How recent a snapshot should I be using?

> I can imagine 2 possible reasons:
> - Either the handling of the firmware eeprom is different on your
> cards. what happens if you force the card type to 87?

I can give 87 a whirl as well.

> - I haven't looked into this in detail, but there might be a new
> bug in the interrupt handler which causes the card to lock up
> completely in some situations. Does analog still work after the
> hang?

My card has been quite "temperamental" although you can blame me for
not seating the card properly on at least one occasion.  Strangely
Philip's card is also being temperamental.  There might be another
problem as well.

--
Peter D.
Sig goes here...