Re: Re: What has happend to Manus repositories?

On Tue, Aug 29, 2006 at 10:06:44PM -0700, Trent Piepho wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Aug 2006, Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 29, 2006, Steven Toth wrote:
> > Manu had posted a large set of patches on July 25, and got zero
> > review and test them etc.
>
> The massive patch bomb was impossible to follow.  I did look over the
> patches when I found a repository that had them applied, and did discuss
> them with Manu.  You can check the IRC logs.  I looked at the front-ends
> that I had knowledge of, and they were completely broken by the patches.

My position was that the API cannot be merged into mainline before it
is proven to work. In order tell Mauro to pull the API changes, one
ideally should prepare a tree which doesn not just contain the frontend.h
change, but also the consequential changes to dvb-core and drivers
(if any), and at least one working driver which uses the new
API features. Otherwise it cannot be tested.
I guess Manu worked in this direction, which explains why there
were so many patches. I have no idea if the work he did was
going in the right direction, I haven't looked at it.

I avoid using IRC (big time killer for me), and I think many others
avoid it, too. linux-dvb currently has 1846 subscribers. How many
hang out in IRC or read the IRC logs? If you don't post to the
list the majority of people will never find out what's going on.

> I tried to help with the new front-end API, but it was a work dynamic that
> I don't wish to be part of.

OK.

Thanks,
Johannes