Re: Re: What has happend to Manus repositories?

On Tue, Aug 29, 2006, Steven Toth wrote:

> Manu,
>
> I've been working on a 3 week old tree you gave me from thadathil.net.
> Thanks for this. I've added support for a new S2 demod and tuner (for
> the WinTV-HVR4000). I'd like to get the entire tree up on linuxtv.org,
> at least people can comment.
>
> I sense a level of frustration in your comments. Let me ask, in your
> view what's the current position with multiprotocol? Is the ML close to
> agreeing the general frontend ops/core changes? The thread has gone cold.
>
> In the mean time,  from my perspective, commercial pressure to release
> 'half baked' drivers and/or core framework changes (to customers in
> vertical markets) leave me in a difficult position. I don't want to do
> that. It's a horrible scenario. Neither do I want to be seen as pushing
> a commercial agenda... simply because I'm not. I want what's best for
> Linux, make no mistake about that.
>
> I'm happy to hold off my vertical customers until the ML has a workable
> solution and has some kind of long term future... except we don't seem
> to be discussing/planning or moving ahead with any multiprotocol
> review/change cycle.
>
> Now I'm frustrated.
>
> Johannes, any comments in terms of multiprotocol generally?

I have plenty of other things to do and essentially have stopped
doing any linux-dvb development. Some people seem to think that
because I spent lots of time reviewing and discussing the API
proposal, it is my duty to spend even more time on it, to
review it again and finally ACK it.

However, I currently (and for the foreseeable future) stopped
caring about linux-dvb, and thus won't do it.

> How do we get this project back on the rails?

Manu had posted a large set of patches on July 25, and got zero
review and test them etc.
If no one cares to do this work it won't happen.

Or maybe you can just go and ask Mauro to merge them unreviewed.
It's your responsibilty, I don't care and won't NACK anything anymore.

HTH,
Johannes