Re: Re: What has happend to Manus repositories?

Steven Toth wrote:

> > I deleted my repositories at linuxtv.org, because of
> >
> > (1) a post on v4l-dvb-maintainer from Johannes Stezenbach
> > <js@xxxxxxxxxxx> asking people to remove of unnecessary trees. It was
> > getting quite hard to find out the trees from there as it was getting
> > real cluttered.
> >
> > So i choose to put my patches/trees over here at.
> >
> > http://www.thadathil.net/cgi-bin/hgwebdir.cgi
> >
> Manu,
>
> I've been working on a 3 week old tree you gave me from thadathil.net.
> Thanks for this. I've added support for a new S2 demod and tuner (for
> the WinTV-HVR4000). I'd like to get the entire tree up on linuxtv.org,
> at least people can comment.
>
> I sense a level of frustration in your comments. Let me ask, in your
> view what's the current position with multiprotocol? Is the ML close to
> agreeing the general frontend ops/core changes? The thread has gone cold.
>
> In the mean time,  from my perspective, commercial pressure to release
> 'half baked' drivers and/or core framework changes (to customers in
> vertical markets) leave me in a difficult position. I don't want to do
> that. It's a horrible scenario. Neither do I want to be seen as pushing
> a commercial agenda... simply because I'm not. I want what's best for
> Linux, make no mistake about that.
>
> I'm happy to hold off my vertical customers until the ML has a workable
> solution and has some kind of long term future... except we don't seem
> to be discussing/planning or moving ahead with any multiprotocol
> review/change cycle.
>
> Now I'm frustrated.
>
> Johannes, any comments in terms of multiprotocol generally?
>
> How do we get this project back on the rails?

Imho we should focus on the DVB-S2 stuff as soon as the current main
repository is in-sync with the kernel again. There are lots of pending
changes because of dvb_attach refactoring...

The DVB-S2 extensions must not break _binary_ or _source_ compatibility
with existing applications. If there is a need for imcompatible
extensions we should define a _new_ ioctl and leave the old one
unmodified.

This also gives some freedom for experiments with a new ioctl while not
breaking any existing stuff. In kernel 2.7.x we may choose to drop the
old ioctl.

Unfortunately, I have no time to review monster diffs. HG is a real
pain if you want to track code changes. Myriads of pointless "merge"
changesets etc etc.

Isn't it possible to add multiprotocol support with minimal changes,
i.e. without touching all existing DVB drivers?

CU
Oliver