Re: STB0899/ST6100 for embedded system

Jason Filos wrote:
> Hi List, hi manu in particular,
>
> I am going to start porting the existing DVB-S2 driver for the STB0899
> demod and ST6100 to an embedded system, thus no PCI interface, all handled
> via FIFO buffers.

Cool.

> However I am a little bit confused on what has been done already, and which
> parts I can "copy" 1:1 and what parts I need to modify. Manu, do you have
> maybe a little doc explaining the different files you have for the STB0899.
> Furthermore in your mercurial I found stb0899_dvbs2 and mp_stb0899, hence
> my question: what are these different versions for?

stb0899_dvbs2 is an older version of the same tree, that i had to
provide somebody else for a preview, since he was also working on a driver.

The mp_stb0899 tree is a more updated tree, where regular work is going
on. You can think the stb0899_dvbs2 tree as a frozen tree, back in the
past.

> Moreover I need all information I can gather to start porting, i.e. maybe
> some help from you guys on what is architecture independent in the driver
> and what parts I can omitt since I am not using the PCI bridge (among other
> things).

The stb0899 driver as it is basically follows the same DVB architecture,
ie, the frontend is separated from the PCI bridge. The driver is again
separated into 3 parts, A high level interface which interfaces to the
DVB API, A low level interface that is very much specific to the device
registers and a DVB-S2 specific functions.

> I am not a pro in drivers (yet), so additional resources w.r.t.
> stb0899 or this type of driver would be great!

Since the driver is at a very low level, you won't have much of
troubles, but you should wait for a well tested driver before starting
the porting, else will result in a lot of frustration.

Manu