Re: idea on how to break the static dependencies on demodulator modules

On Wednesday 05 July 2006 00:10, Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 04, 2006, Andrew de Quincey wrote:

> It doesn't matter to me personally, but I think a couple of
> people would appreciate it if you wouldn't change internal
> APIs if you don't have to. Thus if you want to be nice,
> keep dvb_unregister_frontend() as-is, and add
> dvb_unregister_frontend_dynamic(). It would also
> make the "Add dvb_attach() macro and supporting routines" patch
> smaller, and the code which calls dvb_unregister_frontend_dynamic()
> easier to read.

Good points.

> > OK, updates in http://linuxtv.org/hg/~quincy/v4l-dvb-attach
>
> The "Add Kconfig infrastructure for dvb_attach" patch is crap.
> Instead of building just the drivers necessary for all variants
> of the selected card(s), you now force everyone to build *all*
> drivers, per default as modules.

Well, the problem is I couldn't figure out a way in Kconfig to have the card
drivers themselves _suggest_ which modules they required. I can use 'select'
to force a dependency, but that defeats the purpose really.

One way is to add defaults into each frontend driver entry itself.. e.g.
"default m if DVB_BUDGET_CI". But that then means every frontend then has to
have such a line for every card which might use it.  Seemed a bit horrible to
me really, but its possible to do it. Is there a better way?

> also, the description of DVB_CORE_ATTACH is not very helpful
> for the average user. How about something like:
>
> config DVB_CORE_ATTACH
> 	bool "Load and attach frontend modules as needed"
> 	depends on DVB_CORE
> 	help
> 	  Remove the static dependency of DVB card drivers on all
> 	  frontend modules for all possible card variants. Instead,
> 	  allow the card drivers to only load the frontends modules
> 	  they require. This saves serveral KBytes of memory.
>
> 	  If unsure say Y.
>
> (Note that there is no default, so that "make oldconfig" after
> kernel upgrade asks the user for a a value.)

Much better I would say.