Re: idea on how to break the static dependencies on demodulator modules

On Tue, Jul 04, 2006, Andrew de Quincey wrote:
> On Tuesday 04 July 2006 10:29, Andrew de Quincey wrote:

It doesn't matter to me personally, but I think a couple of
people would appreciate it if you wouldn't change internal
APIs if you don't have to. Thus if you want to be nice,
keep dvb_unregister_frontend() as-is, and add
dvb_unregister_frontend_dynamic(). It would also
make the "Add dvb_attach() macro and supporting routines" patch
smaller, and the code which calls dvb_unregister_frontend_dynamic()
easier to read.

> OK, updates in http://linuxtv.org/hg/~quincy/v4l-dvb-attach

The "Add Kconfig infrastructure for dvb_attach" patch is crap.
Instead of building just the drivers necessary for all variants
of the selected card(s), you now force everyone to build *all*
drivers, per default as modules.

also, the description of DVB_CORE_ATTACH is not very helpful
for the average user. How about something like:

config DVB_CORE_ATTACH
	bool "Load and attach frontend modules as needed"
	depends on DVB_CORE
	help
	  Remove the static dependency of DVB card drivers on all
	  frontend modules for all possible card variants. Instead,
	  allow the card drivers to only load the frontends modules
	  they require. This saves serveral KBytes of memory.

	  If unsure say Y.

(Note that there is no default, so that "make oldconfig" after
kernel upgrade asks the user for a a value.)

Johannes