Re: idea on how to break the static dependencies on demodulator modules

Andrew de Quincey wrote:

Well, the problem is I couldn't figure out a way in Kconfig to have the card drivers themselves _suggest_ which modules they required. I can use 'select' to force a dependency, but that defeats the purpose really.

One way is to add defaults into each frontend driver entry itself.. e.g.
"default m if DVB_BUDGET_CI". But that then means every frontend then has to have such a line for every card which might use it. Seemed a bit horrible to me really, but its possible to do it. Is there a better way?
Here is an idea:

config DVB_CARD_DRIVER1
   tristate "Example PCI / USB DVB Device Driver 1"
   select DVB_USEFE_FRONTENDFOO

config DVB_CARD_DRIVER2
   tristate "Example PCI / USB DVB Device Driver 2"
   select DVB_USEFE_FRONTENDFOO

config DVB_USEFE_FRONTENDFOO
   bool
   default n

config DVB_FRONTENDFOO
   tristate "Example Frontend"
   depends on DVB_CORE
   default m if DVB_USEFE_FRONTENDFOO

This is exactly what you're asking for, except without the need for each frontend driver to have a line for each card type that might use it.

...although we would also have to make sure that it would work for non-modular kernel builds...

also, the description of DVB_CORE_ATTACH is not very helpful
for the average user. How about something like:

config DVB_CORE_ATTACH
	bool "Load and attach frontend modules as needed"
	depends on DVB_CORE
	help
	  Remove the static dependency of DVB card drivers on all
	  frontend modules for all possible card variants. Instead,
	  allow the card drivers to only load the frontends modules
	  they require. This saves serveral KBytes of memory.

	  If unsure say Y.

(Note that there is no default, so that "make oldconfig" after
kernel upgrade asks the user for a a value.)

Much better I would say.
but one typo:

-	  they require. This saves serveral KBytes of memory.
+	  they require. This saves several KBytes of memory.

Cheers,

Mike Krufky