Re: Hauppauge WinTV Nova-T USB2

scamp wrote:
Hi Sally

On 5/28/06, Sally Young <sally@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

A few odd things I noted from that were the weird MAC address and the
frontend error.

Unfortunately I can't offer an answer, but I can say that I have exactly
the same problem.
You can see my earlier posts at
http://www.linuxtv.org/pipermail/linux-dvb/2006-April/009685.html and
http://www.linuxtv.org/pipermail/linux-dvb/2006-April/009859.html

I think that Hauppauge have changed something internal since this was first
tested as working.  I've tested it on two different machines, both with the
same results.  I've been using Debian with a 2.6.15 kernel.  The MS Windows
install works fine though.

I don't have a solution, but I do have a recently purchased version of this hardware working - bought within the last four weeks. I have always worked with a recent version of the V4L drivers - I'm currently on changeset 4047. It may be worth building the latest version to see if it solves your problem.

If that doesn't, here are the details from my device, in the hope that it may help someone spot a difference that matters. The only obvious thing I can see is a line in my dmesg about "i2c_adapter i2c-3: SMBus Quick command not supported", but since that is information about something not working its probably not relevant.

One other observation - I have had trouble with other USB multi media devices (headphones, phones): if they are plugged into my outboard 7 port USB hub they don't work. I haven't tried plugging the Nova-t-usb into the hub, but that may be the problem. If are using a hub, try plugging it directly into the PC instead.

---------------------
The words on the device sticker:

93000 Rev B8A2 Lot 2005
MAC 000DFE02CAB4

the dmesg from bootup:
----------------
dvb-usb: found a 'Hauppauge WinTV-NOVA-T usb2' in cold state, will try to load a firmware
dvb-usb: downloading firmware from file 'dvb-usb-nova-t-usb2-01.fw'
usbcore: registered new driver dvb_usb_nova_t_usb2
usb 1-4: USB disconnect, address 11
dvb-usb: generic DVB-USB module successfully deinitialized and disconnected.
usb 1-4: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 12
dvb-usb: found a 'Hauppauge WinTV-NOVA-T usb2' in warm state.
dvb-usb: will pass the complete MPEG2 transport stream to the software demuxer.
DVB: registering new adapter (Hauppauge WinTV-NOVA-T usb2).
dvb-usb: MAC address: 00:0d:fe:02:ca:b4
i2c_adapter i2c-3: SMBus Quick command not supported, can't probe for chips
dib3000: Found a DiBcom 3000P.
DVB: registering frontend 0 (DiBcom 3000P/M-C DVB-T)...
input: IR-receiver inside an USB DVB receiver as /class/input/input8
dvb-usb: schedule remote query interval to 100 msecs.
dvb-usb: Hauppauge WinTV-NOVA-T usb2 successfully initialized and connected.
---------------------------

The modules loaded are:

----------------------
dvb_usb_nova_t_usb2     5124  1
dvb_usb_dibusb_common     5764  1 dvb_usb_nova_t_usb2
dib3000mc              12672  1 dvb_usb_dibusb_common
dib3000_common          2048  1 dib3000mc
dvb_usb                18696  2 dvb_usb_nova_t_usb2,dvb_usb_dibusb_common
dvb_core               67240  1 dvb_usb
dvb_pll                11652  2 dvb_usb_dibusb_common,dvb_usb
-------------------------

lsusb -v
---------------------------
Bus 001 Device 012: ID 2040:9301 Hauppauge Hauppauge WinTV NOVA-T USB2 (warm)
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               2.00
  bDeviceSubClass         0
  bDeviceProtocol         0
  bMaxPacketSize0        64
  idVendor           0x2040 Hauppauge
  idProduct          0x9301 Hauppauge WinTV NOVA-T USB2 (warm)
  bcdDevice            0.00
  iManufacturer           1 Hauppau??
  iProduct                2 SOHO-FX2
  iSerial                 0
  bNumConfigurations      1
  Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength                 9
    bDescriptorType         2
    wTotalLength           46
    bNumInterfaces          1
    bConfigurationValue     1
    iConfiguration          0
    bmAttributes         0x80
    MaxPower              400mA
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        0
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           4
      bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class
      bInterfaceSubClass      0
      bInterfaceProtocol      0
      iInterface              0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x01  EP 1 OUT
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0040  1x 64 bytes
        bInterval               0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0040  1x 64 bytes
        bInterval               0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x02  EP 2 OUT
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
        bInterval               0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x86  EP 6 IN
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
        bInterval               0
Device Qualifier (for other device speed):
  bLength                10
  bDescriptorType         6
  bcdUSB               2.00
  bDeviceSubClass         0