Re: bt8xx docu fixes and other docu fixes; pci subsystem id flakyness

Sigmund Augdal Helberg wrote:

On Fri, 2006-03-24 at 15:04 +0100, Uwe Bugla wrote:
--- Ursprüngliche Nachricht ---
Von: Edgar Toernig <froese@xxxxxx>
An: linux-dvb@xxxxxxxxxxx
Betreff: Re:  bt8xx docu fixes and other docu fixes
Datum: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 23:03:16 +0100

Ralph Metzler wrote:
No, the hardware is not not working, it is not there.
The first Twinhan cards did not have an EEPROM.
Oh.  So how are they supposed to work now when the
bt878_probe only accepts cards with a know subsystem
id?

Ciao, ET.

My proposal:
If I get 5 test reports here proving me that autodetection works for all
TwinHan cards, I´ll sit down and write another docu fix eliminating that
card specific annotations.
Question: Are the annotations for running multiple cards also unnecessary,
or is that just an assumption?
I can confirm that autodetection does not allways work for some twinhan
cards. That is for the same card autodetection some times work some
Possible root causes:
a) the card (or eeprom) is flakey; perhaps temperature dependent
b) the driver leaves the i2c bus on the card in a random state, so sometimes the eeprom does not respond correctly

@Sigmund:
See if the correct pci subsystem id is reported ("lspci -vn") for
- multiple "halt" + plug off the power cord for 30 seconds (aka ice-cold reboots), _without the driver ever loaded_
- multiple "reboot" (aka warm reboots), _without the driver ever loaded_
- repeat with driver loaded
At which point does "lspci -vn" stop to report the correct id?

To rule out flakeyness "multiple= 10 times"

times not. When autodetection fails and no card= option is given for
that card the computer locks up.
The lock up is a fatal bug and must be fixed in the driver.