Re: bt8xx docu fixes and other docu fixes

Ralph Metzler wrote:

Edgar Toernig writes:
> Uwe Bugla wrote:
> >
> > +In the following cases overriding the PCI type detection for dvb-bt8xx
> > might be necessary:
> > +------------------------------
> > +    $ modprobe bttv card=113
> > +--------------------------
> > +
> > +    $ modprobe bttv card=113 card=135
> > +    $ modprobe dvb-bt8xx
> > Is this really true? Afaics, all of these cards should be autodetected.

No, not all.

> If the autodetection in the bttv driver will not work, the new probe
> code in bt878.c would be in trouble too.
> > I saw reports where the autodetect was not working (subsys-id nulled) but
> in those cases the hardware was non-working anyway (hosed i2c bus) and

No, the hardware is not not working, it is not there.
The first Twinhan cards did not have an EEPROM.
Yes, sometimes the manufacturer just does not solder the eeprom.

This can be confusing to users
User A: My Card Brand Foo, Model X is autodected
User B: No, Mine is not.

Note: The cards lacking an eeprom are _not_ confirming to latest PCI standards which declared the subsystem id mandatory.

There are examples on the gallery which show the _identical_card with eeprom and without eeprom (e.g. twinhan).