Re: Pinnacle 300i, please try this patch

Hi, Hermann

hermann pitton wrote:
Hi Guys,

Am Donnerstag, den 16.02.2006, 17:59 +0100 schrieb Rainer Schubert:

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006, Hartmut Hackmann wrote:

Hi, Tim, Rainer

Hi Hartmut, Tim, Tim, List,

Tim Small wrote:

I tested Hartmut's patch yesterday - analogue now works, (the picture was horrible, but this is apparently because a workman has broken the cable in the roof space - I will test digital after I have fixed the cable!). With the patch I've not seen any more i2c errors anyway.

There is almost no analogue TV here, only some weak signals by ARD & ZDF.
I never bothered with analogue TV as it was cut down here when I got my
first Pinnacle card.

[...]
Use a more recent kernel, and apply the rejected diff by hand (i.e. just look at the contents of the diff, and make the change yourself), or tell patch to try harder.

Isn't 2.6.14 recent enough ?

yes, even 2.6.12 should be recent enough.

The patch was created against an about 1 week old version, it is quite likely
that it changed meanwhile. I guess the patches in saa7134-cards.c were rejected.

It produces only an offset of 26 lines here, caused by the new Elsa
card.

Looking at the log I produced it seems the patches to tuner.c have been
rejected.

Only an offset of two lines caused by the new #ifdef for the XCeive
tuner. This part is needed to set the mt2050 in digital mode again.

Please apply the changes manually - at least the one for the pinnacle 300i.
It is a major portion of the trick. Also please keep in mind that the tda9887
module needs to be loaded manually before tuner. I have a patch for this
pending.

Tim sent his patched version which I will try this afternoon. Thanks Tim !

If you have inconsistent module versions, i guess the reason is that the
kernel is older than 2.6.12. In this case, the dvb modules will not be updated.

It is version 2.6.14 and the inconsistancy was with versions of symbols in ir_kbd-something.

Try modprobe -r to the related modules. This will also remove the old
ir-common.

If it is desired, i can also generate a patch for this to make it work for
at least 2.6.11.

Thanks, Hartmut, not for me, as I have got a working setup with 2.6.12.5 as a fallback.

Since it seems to produce problems for more people, a regenerated
version of Hartmut's patch against the recent "hg clone
http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb"; is attached.

It should do if placed into the mercurial v4l-dvb top level directory
and there
"patch --dry-run -p 1 < pinnacle300i-regenerated-20060216.patch".
If so, drop the --dry-run and apply. I would like to see the first
saa7134-dvb hybrid card alive again everywhere :)

Cheers,
Hermann

Thanks that you regenerated the patch. The information that tuner-core.c
caused the problem didn't come up earlier.
Meanwhile i also got a patch for the module load order issue.
In the weekend, i will set up my own repository and apply the patches there.
This should make life easier for testers - unfortunately harder for developers.
It will take some time before the patch goes to mainstream. I am sure that
there will be some discussion with the other maintainers.

Hartmut