Re: patch collection for Kernel 2.6.16-rc1

On Sat, Feb 04, 2006, Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
> If you look at my presence here on this list for the last few months
> it is quite obvious that it is time that someone else takes over,
> and puts on the maintainer hat officially. I suck.

I should have added a smiley ;-)

This has nothing to do with Uwe's rant (I can take it), but it simply
is a fact that I don't have (or don't want to spend, sorry) the time
anymore to do what an official maintainer should do.

E.g.
- answer linux-dvb postings, maybe prod someone who has the right
  answers if you don't have them yourself
- review and apply patches, or find someone to do it, test
  or find someone who can test
- check for downstream changes and pull them into our tree
- look after bug reports and find someone who can fix it
- look after dvb-apps and finally get a release done (looong overdue)
- in general feel responsible for the whole project and try to
  bring it forward

I'm not going to vanish from linux-dvb, but please accept that the
days where you could rely on me doing all that are over.

Many helpful hands already jumped in to do parts of it, but e.g. I
currently have around 100 linux-dvb mails marked as "TODO", e.g. where
I hoped someone else would react to, but it never happened.

Ideally someone would come forward and say "I'm going to devote
some of my time to the project and try to do all that". If not,
it will have to be a community effort. Just don't wait for
someone else, do it yourself. And don't be afraid to poke around
in someone else's code to solve problems.

I also want to take the opportunity to say big "Thank You!"s to:

o Mauro Carvalho Chehab, who agreed to merge DVB and V4L trees
  and took over patch handling for the combined tree;
  without his work DVB development would probably have died
  a slow and painful death already

o Michael Krufky, who jumped in to help with patch handling
  once when I needed him, and whose comments on various
  issues were always very helpful

o and all others who contribute to the drivers, the Wikis and the
  mailing lists

Thanks,
Johannes

--