[linux-dvb] dvb hdtv capture resolution limited to 720x480 inmythtv? DViCO FusionHDTV 5 Lite

On Friday 02 December 2005 12:01 pm, CityK wrote:
> Michael Krufky wrote:
> > I have a wierd issue, however, with DViCO's windows
> > software. Sometimes Fox 5 (WNYW_DT) shows up, and other
> > times it does not.  Some times, choosing WNYW_DT, only
> > gives me WWOR ... yuck!
>
> Hehe - the user forums on AVS are just packed with people
> complaining about the ineptitude of Dvico's windows
> software.  Unfortunately, Dvico's giving their  hardware
> a bad name simply because many users can't make the
> distinction that its the software that sucks.

Actually the DViCO Windows application works well with a
clean signal from the station. The local NBC station has a
very dirty switch. Sometimes the first few frames of the HD
program arrive in SD. When the signal is switched between
network feed and local programming garbage seems to be put
on the Transport Stream. This is the only time I see an
image pixelate. The sound has dead spots for a while as it
tries to get into sync. (The SPIF sound is decoded by a
Denon digital receiver not the computer.) After up to 10-
seconds of this it works fine until the next commercial
break. Occasionally (once or twice a day) this will crash
the DViCO  application. It appears that the DViCO
application does not protect itself from bad data and
assumes all data is within spec.

The NBC station also crashes the application that comes with
the Hauppauge WinTV-HD card I bought 3 years ago when it
switches between network and remote feeds. Back then the
only thing available in HD was the Tonight Show. It seldom
got through more than a couple of switches before windows
required a reboot. I never saw an entire show without
rebooting my computer at least once at a commercial break.
This application reinforces the "break" in commercial
break. The Hauppauge application is unusable. The DViCO
application is usually the only thing affected and it can
be killed with task manager and restarted without rebooting
Windows.

--Mac