[linux-dvb] dvb hdtv capture resolution limited to 720x480 in mythtv? DViCO FusionHDTV 5 Lite

The driver for DViCO FusionHDTV 5 Lite sends MythTV whatever
is received in the ATSC Transport Stream (TS). The
resolution depends on the transmission. Resolution is not
limited or changed by the driver or DViCO hardware in any
way. MythTV sorts out the ATSC TS since more than one
channel can be sent simultaneously.

I don't have cable so I don't know if cable carries HDTV in
unencrypted QAM. QAM can handle two1080i streams on one
channel. Most of the over-the-air channels in Austin, Texas
transmit one HDTV stream and one SD stream on their digital
frequency. Each station still uses its NTSC channel number
even though the digital channel is on another frequency.

There has been a lot of activity in MythTV to support HDTV
better since the 18.1 release.

--Mac

On Thursday 01 December 2005 01:57 pm, mrwester wrote:
> Hi-
>
> Forgive me if I missed something in the archives
> regarding these topics...
>
> I just added a DViCO FusionHDTV 5 Lite card to my working
> mythtv setup (18.1from Axel's RPMs).  The system already
> has 1 x PVR-350 and 1 x PVR-500.
> I'm using DVI out of a fx5200 to native resolution of my
> widescreen LCD @ 1280x768.  The new card is configured in
> mythtv-setup as a DVB card.  I can tune unencrypted QAM
> channels and record fine.   However, when I go into
> recording profiles, the max I can set is 720x480, thereby
> limiting me to digital SD on the card.     Can I capture
> in 1080i or 720p in mythtv?  Am I missing a setting
> somewhere?  Do I need to enable something in the driver
> load?  Where?
>
> Also, I've got the PVR tuners set to display in
> widescreen, thereby filling the screen.  The digital DVB
> tuner however has black bars on the sides.  Is this
> because only some programs are broadcast in widescreen
> and the 4:3 aspect ratio shows are recorded this way and
> I've not recorded a 16:9 show yet?

The local stations are too stupid (or poor) to switch to the
correct signal when transmitting SD content. They simply
stick it into the HD stream and pad the left and right
sides with black bars. Sometimes they pad with grey bars or
even a decorative graphic to make it look better.

Shows recorded in a studio and sporting events are often in
the 16x9 format. Most of the others are not. This includes
news, reality shows, and most reruns from prior years. I
have seen only two commercials  in HDTV. They advertise
cable TV service and were seen on an over-the-air channel.