[linux-dvb] DVB-T card for PCI-X + Digital-RADIO-Linux-Questions

On Fri, 2005-09-30 at 22:17 +0200, Christoph Anton Mitterer wrote:
> Soyeb Aswat wrote:
> > DVB and DAB are completely different.  DVB does have radio, but that's
> > really just an audio only mpeg stream.  DAB is a standard created
> > specifically for digital radio transmission over the airwaves.
> >
> > I've seen a PCI DAB card in development, but that was a few years ago
> > and it was never released.
> >

> > > 4) Does anyone know if that cute Terratec card, Jon mentioned befor,
> > > supports digital readio?
> > >

> > It'll support DVB radio, but not what you want which is DAB.
> >
> Ah, I see. Does generally ever DVB-T card support that DVB-Radio
> stuff, too?

Yes.

> Which software is used to listen to DVB-T radio?

Whatever you'd use to watch DVB video, so xine, mplayer, etc.

> Where can I find information if there are any broadcasters in my local
> area (Germany/Munich)?

Take a look at the transponder file for your local transmitter.  They
can be found in the dvb-apps source under util/szap/channels-conf/dvb-t.

> And last but not least, some more general question):
> As I wrote before I'll have to buy a new DVB-T card (because of the
> PCI problem).
> 1) Since I love that DualDVB-T feature (and you said that Terratec
> card will support DVB radio, too) I tend to buy it (as soon as it
> becomes available). But in general, which company makes the best DVB-T
> cards (with best quality, hardware like tuner etc.)? Or which card can
> be considered as the best?

Difficult question that.  I personally do not like the Hauppauge Nova-T
and all others using the same design, they need a very strong signal
before they'll tune.

Anything using an mt352 frontend will tune well, and the other card I
have, a KWorld V-Stream is one of them (be warned, there are two designs
for this card, the one I have, and one similar to the Nova-T).

> 2) Is surround sound available for DVB-T and are there cards and Linux
> drivers that support this (what about that nice Terratec dual card)?

That's all dependent on the broadcaster.  All modern DVB cards do is
take the mpeg stream from the airwaves and present it to the
application.  If the mpeg was broadcast with say a Dolby Digital 5.1
sound signal and your software knew what to do with it (mplayer
certainly would), then yeah, you can get surround sound.  So it's a
combination of what is being broadcast and what software you're using.

> 3) Same questions with the features "VideoText" and "multilingual
> audio) (e.g. theres arte in Germany and France which broadcast nearly
> everything in German and French, in both countries)

Same thing as no.2.  If this information/audio is broadcast as part of
the DVB signal, and the application knew what to do with it then yeah,
it'll be able to use it.

I don't believe there is currently an application on Linux that can view
videotext/teletext that is broadcast on dvb, but certainly mplayer and
perhaps others can handle multiple sound streams.

> btw: Any information if Linux drivers will support that dual DVB-T?

That's largely dependent on what information we can get about the card,
who's got one, and who's got the time and skills to put into
development.  That said the picture shows Thompson tuner modules, and we
already support at least one Thompson tuner (the one on the Nova-T), so
it may not take too long to create a driver :)

And finally, I was wrong about the PCI DAB cards...

At least two PCI DAB cards have been released but neither seem available
at this time.

There have been at least two USB DAB receivers released, and again
neither seem currently available, though it was suggested that they may
be available on eBay.

I'm going to try and get hold of a USB DAB adaptor and write a driver
for it.  If someone can get me a PCI version for very little money, and
be able to get an agreement to get programmer info out of the
manufacturer then I'd be happy to give the PCI card a go too.

Regards,

Soyeb