[linux-dvb] kernel memleak with DVB drivers

On Tue, Aug 02, 2005 at 12:13:38PM +0200, Stefan Seyfried wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 09:31:25PM +0000, Stefan Seyfried wrote:
> > On Sun, Jun 19, 2005 at 05:56:29PM +0000, Stefan Seyfried wrote:
> I have found out what the difference between tzap and dvbd is WRT tuning:
>
> dvbd keeps the frontend (and demux?) FDs open for 5 seconds after its last
> client exited, so the flow of events is:
>
> open FDs
> tune channel, start dvr
> stop dvr, tune channel start dvr
> stop dvr, tune channel start dvr
> close FDs
>
> while with tzap it is:
> open FDs
> tune channel, start dvr
> stop dvr
> close FDs
> repeat ;-)
>
> If e.g. dvbrowse -p is running in the background, i lose about 1.5MB of
> kernel memory with the first method, none with the second.
>
> I have modified dvbd to close the filedescriptors immediately after the last
> client exited, but this is merely a workaround for this driver bug.
>
> Should i file a bug at bugzilla.kernel.org or is reporting this here enough?

bugzilla.kernel.org is pretty much a dead end for DVB stuff.

Anyway, the problem is that no-one else seems to be able to
reproduce this bug. I haven't had time to try dvbd myself,
just looked briefly in the source and saw it uses shared
memory. I guess that's where your memory goes...

Other DVB software out there keeps the frontend open,
too (VDR, kaffeine, ...). No problem.

Johannes