[linux-dvb] Dropping 50-70 frames and don't know why

Hi Johannes

Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
>>So my conclusion is that either CanalDigitals signal has severe jumps in
>>PTS (especially for NRK1 and NRK2), or the receiver PCs builds a
>>lag/buffer that eventually gets dropped (50-70 decoded frames). Assuming
>>the latter, then where can the data get lost ? Is it on the Hauppauge
>>(TT) receivers or in the driver/kernel or in the dvbstream app. ?
>

> - at 4Mbit/s two seconds give you one MByte. Is there a 1MB buffer
>   somewhere that could slowly run full and then get dropped
>   completely to recover? (maybe the bitrate of the paytv channels
>   is higer than for FTA?)

Checking with NRK1 (1W 12321,H,27800,512,640) I see a 6.5-7.5Mbps
measuring saved TS to file. Fiddling (only a little) with the numbers,
its approx 2Mb that gets dropped - too close to not look suspeciously.

> - do and verify a recording on a receiver PC with one Nova card first
> - PTS discontinuities are allowed in the MPEG standard; is there
>   actually something missing?

Difficult to say - for me - the decoded stream just suddently jumps
2-2.8 secs in PTS. I'll try to extract something viewable in MPEG
format. As it is now, my output is MPEG-4. Have to rewrite some code
for further inspection.

 >   is the discontinuity_indicator set?

Hmm, assume that is a flag in the mpeg-2 ts stream. I'll try to
see if I can extract it from my demuxer. I'm not an expert here,
but maybe I can find something on Google.

>   does the PTS jump happen only for video and not for audio?

Hmm, I use LAME to decode and it says
bitstream problem: resyncing...
11:09:58.135-mp4live-3: WARNING : PTS jumped 2.160 seconds from 2811187798 to 2811382198 (54.00 frames)

The 'bitstream problem: resyncing..' message is from LAME. I suspect the
audio PTS jumps too, but I'll have to rewrite my code a bit to be sure.
I'll check.

> - how does your libmpeg2 based decoder app sync to the dvbstream
>   transmitter to ensure buffers never over/underrun?

Ehh ! Come again ! Not sure what you mean !

I demux the DVB MPEG-2 TS stream continously on a fast enough system, then feed
the video packets to libmpeg2 and the audio packets to LAME. Which buffers should/could
get over/underrun ?

Kind regards

--PMM