[linux-dvb] Dropping 50-70 frames and don't know why

Peter Maersk-Moller wrote:
> I'm in the need for suggestions for where to look for the cause of frame
> drops for decoded signals from Canal Digital on 1West (CONAX). What I
> experience is a typical 50-70 encoded frames missing (PTS jumps 2-2.8
> secs) every 1-20 minute. Here is my setup.
>
>   ReceiverPCs----FastEthernet--Switch--FastEthernet----DecoderPCs
>
> The receiver PCs have a mix of 1-4 Hauppauge Nexus-s/Nova-s/Nova-CI-s
>
> The receiver PCs runs kernel 2.6.10, uses vdr 1.39 to tune into the
> channels and enabling the CONAX/CAM and uses dvbstream to stream the
> channels onto the switched Fast Ethernet.
>
> On the Decoder PCs I run my own libmpeg2 based decoder application. Here
> I observe that the PTS of the decoded signal every now and then (1-20
> minutes interval) jumps 50-70 frames (2-2.8 secs) when the signal comes
> from Canal Digital (CONAX Encryption). Same setup works well when the
> signal is FTA from Sky.
>
> Inspecting the RTP packet sequence number on the Decoder PC reveal very
> little or no rtp packet drops, so that is not the cause of the problem.
>
> So my conclusion is that either CanalDigitals signal has severe jumps in
> PTS (especially for NRK1 and NRK2), or the receiver PCs builds a
> lag/buffer that eventually gets dropped (50-70 decoded frames). Assuming
> the latter, then where can the data get lost ? Is it on the Hauppauge
> (TT) receivers or in the driver/kernel or in the dvbstream app. ?

- at 4Mbit/s two seconds give you one MByte. Is there a 1MB buffer
  somewhere that could slowly run full and then get dropped
  completely to recover? (maybe the bitrate of the paytv channels
  is higer than for FTA?)
- do and verify a recording on a receiver PC with one Nova card first
- PTS discontinuities are allowed in the MPEG standard; is there
  actually something missing? is the discontinuity_indicator set?
  does the PTS jump happen only for video and not for audio?
- how does your libmpeg2 based decoder app sync to the dvbstream
  transmitter to ensure buffers never over/underrun?

Johannes