[linux-dvb] Dropping 50-70 frames and don't know why

Hi

I'm in the need for suggestions for where to look for the cause of frame
drops for decoded signals from Canal Digital on 1West (CONAX). What I
experience is a typical 50-70 encoded frames missing (PTS jumps 2-2.8
secs) every 1-20 minute. Here is my setup.

   ReceiverPCs----FastEthernet--Switch--FastEthernet----DecoderPCs

The receiver PCs have a mix of 1-4 Hauppauge Nexus-s/Nova-s/Nova-CI-s

The receiver PCs runs kernel 2.6.10, uses vdr 1.39 to tune into the
channels and enabling the CONAX/CAM and uses dvbstream to stream the
channels onto the switched Fast Ethernet.

On the Decoder PCs I run my own libmpeg2 based decoder application. Here
I observe that the PTS of the decoded signal every now and then (1-20
minutes interval) jumps 50-70 frames (2-2.8 secs) when the signal comes
from Canal Digital (CONAX Encryption). Same setup works well when the
signal is FTA from Sky.

Inspecting the RTP packet sequence number on the Decoder PC reveal very
little or no rtp packet drops, so that is not the cause of the problem.

So my conclusion is that either CanalDigitals signal has severe jumps in
PTS (especially for NRK1 and NRK2), or the receiver PCs builds a
lag/buffer that eventually gets dropped (50-70 decoded frames). Assuming
the latter, then where can the data get lost ? Is it on the Hauppauge
(TT) receivers or in the driver/kernel or in the dvbstream app. ?

For completeness I should mention that I run dvbstream with 'nice --12'
to give higher priority to the task. The load on the reciever is
typical 30-40%.

Kind regards

--PMM