[linux-dvb] record multiple channels

Tony,

I just went to the satellite store (yes, I want one ;-) and
they told me that the Skystar2 (or any pc card) can not record more then
one stream at the same time because the receiver (settop box or pc card)
  sends a command to the receiver on the dish that will "tune" to a
specific frequency.

They also told me that the "receiver unit" on the dish needs to be of a
type that can handle multiple channels if you want to watch 2 (or 4)
different channels _at the same time_. Is this true?

I will rephrase my question. I am looking for a solution that can record
multiple video streams _at the same time_ on to a computer. Can this be
done with one pci card or will I always need 1 card per channel?

I also found out that to record public Dutch TV ( not free to air) I
need to pay for a smartcard by monthly subscription.

So I need a pci card that can take a smart card. Do you guys have any
recommendation for cards like this that work nicely under linux??

Many thanks,

Matthijs

--

Matthijs Mourits