[linux-dvb] record multiple channels

On Friday 08 April 2005 18:48, Matthijs Mourits wrote:

> I just went to the satellite store (yes, I want one ;-) and
> they told me that the Skystar2 (or any pc card) can not record more then
> one stream at the same time because the receiver (settop box or pc card)
>   sends a command to the receiver on the dish that will "tune" to a
> specific frequency.

In a digital system many channels can be sent in one transport stream which
is broadcast on one frequency. So yes, you can record many video streams
(the whole transport stream in fact) at the same time. If the channels are
on different frequencies or different satellites even THEN you'll need
another tuner (and most likely a dish, too), obviously.

So they didn't lie to you: only one frequency can be tuned in at any time.
But they also didn't tell you the whole truth: many channels can be set
over one frequency.