[linux-dvb] Re: A suggestion required...

Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
> >Since you Cc'd Klaus: VDR already contains a CI library, and I guess
> >he's not eager to include another one. It would be nice if you
> >could point out to him what needs to be changed in VDR to support
> >Twinhan-style CI, or maybe even send him a patch. But you
> >better sort that out on the vdr mailing list.
>
> I wouldn't like to implement a special method of CI handling just
> for one particular hardware. You should make the interface behave
> just like the existing one - then you can use VDR right out of the box.

The problem is that the Twinhan cards hide access to CI behind
a microcontroller, and the protocol for that uC doesn't allow
the implementation of the link layer protocol which is used
by other cards :-(
IIRC there was some discussion with Ralph a while ago about this.

What Manu implements is (I hope) not a Twinhan-specific
protocol, but a generic application layer protocol that
could be used for similarly crippled hardware.

It's up to you to decide if you want VDR to support that.

Meanwhile I suggest Manu explains to interested people
on the vdr list what would be necessary to support
Twinhan-CA, if someone is interested they can write
a patch.

Johannes